Saturday, June 2, 2012

Timing Is Everything



In the past few weeks I am being reminded that feeling "alive" really happens outside of my comfort zone.  When I get too comfortable, life seems to feel one dimensional and "status quo,"  I am not a "status quo" kind of girl.

I have been on this quest to shake things up a bit in my life - Don't get me wrong - my life is great!  I was just feeling like I needed a hobby!  Sooooo, in addition to taking guitar lessons at the end of June ( I will let you know how that goes) I decided to take trapeze lessons, go zip lining and hand gliding in the next few months.  Yes - when I decide something I go all out!

Today I did trapeze lessons.  IT WAS A BLAST!  With a few minor "upsets."  That is where the "timing is everything" comes into play.  The last thing the instructors taught us was the "catch and release" move.  Essentially, when you release your hands from the bar, you arch your back and reach for the instructors hands, release your legs, dangle for a while and release and fall into the net.  TIMING ON THIS MOVE IS EVERYTHING (for both parties) and to my dismay I missed the timing, TWICE!  Grrrrrr.  After the class was over I managed to successfully run through the move again and again in my head and spin my thoughts around, "what did I do wrong?  Why did I fail at that when everyone else got it?  I suck!"  Great self-talk, huh?

As I went for a run a short while later (and while continuing to play the wonderful "you suck" tapes in my head), what the instructors said (Timing is everything) really hit me.

It caused me to think about other areas of my life where when the "timing" seems off, doubt and dismay creep in.  Especially as it relates to well, uggghhhh, a spouse..... and to some other desires in life.  The timing (waiting) on things can sometimes really stink - wondering, why?  Did I miss something?  Did I do something wrong?  What is UP with the timing?

I want to believe that timing is everything and to commit my trust in God .....that He knows the timing of all things - He knows what He is doing - that His timing is perfect.  But, admittedly, it is really tough sometimes.

So trapeze lessons turned out to be more than learning to fly through the air.  It's learning how to "catch" God's timing and "release" mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment